The Institute for Humanities Research (IHR) seeks an Administrative Professional to serve as Director of the Digital Humanities Seed Lab. The successful candidate will work closely with the IHR Director, Digital Humanities Advisory Board, and staff to conceptualize and implement an ASU-wide initiative on digital humanities research. The successful candidate will draw upon previous training/ experience in digital humanities and new media to build external networks, seek out and/or create funding opportunities, develop a strategic vision for building and managing digital programs and projects, and further the mission of humanities research at ASU. Anticipated start date is August 2013. Salary $45,000-$60,000, depending on experience.
As director, the successful candidate will be expected to work directly with researchers to define, develop, and/or analyze project design, scope, and/or needs; evaluate existing and/or emerging tools and technologies to identify potential uses in humanities research at ASU; and collaborate with other ASU units/agencies to understand and apply various technology infrastructures to maximize resources and effectiveness. The successful candidate will also provide limited technical support for digital humanities research projects, including implementation of tools, technology, etc. to help researcher achieve goals; develop prototype demonstration projects for use by others; and provide training, group instruction or workshops as appropriate.
- Master’s degree in a humanities field
- Experience in working in interdisciplinary humanities environments
- Demonstrated familiarity with current work in the digital humanities
- Demonstrated record of effective project management
- Strong written/oral communication skills
- PhD in a humanities field
- Demonstrated experience developing and administering programs, events, and collaborative research projects
- Understanding of the principles and practices of research and development in digital humanities
- Experience with new media and technology applications for research and pedagogy in higher education
- Experience working with diverse campus and public constituencies.
- Ability to work in both PC and MAC environments
- Experience managing grants
Working knowledge of content management systems (e.g. WordPress, Omeka, Drupal); data visualization tools and methods; relational databases, including design, ideally in the context of literary analysis; object-oriented design and coding, ideally in the context of visualizations of Humanities documents or social networks; programming languages (e.g. PHP, Python, Ruby); text-mining tools and methods; text-encoding and markup; GIS tools and methods
To apply, submit a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email, phone number). Application materials should be submitted as a single PDF document via email only to Daniel Gilfillan, Search Chair (firstname.lastname@example.org). Review of applications will begin on June 28, 2013, if not filled, every two weeks thereafter until the search is closed. ASU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. See https://www.asu.edu/titleIX/. A background check is required for employment.