The IUP Libraries are looking for an information technology professional with three to five years of experience in the administration and support of integrated library systems, applications, and technologies in an academic setting to lead the Libraries and their technology team into the 21st century academic library environment.
The Assistant Dean of Libraries for Systems & Technology will provide leadership and direction for the libraries’ technology infrastructure and systems, including library management systems, network integrity and security, support of enterprise library applications and services and advancing library systems and technologies.
This individual will be responsible for evaluating new technology, maintaining existing technology infrastructure, and working in close collaboration with Central IT Services. This individual will also work closely with library faculty and staff to understand and evaluate academic information technologies and strategies for the IUP Libraries and make recommendations to the Dean, as well as oversee and supervise helpdesk services, computer lab operations, and media and production services. Finally, this individual will participate in campus-wide technology initiatives as the representative of library services.
- The Assistant Dean of Libraries for Systems & Technology oversees and manages all library technology systems including:
- the library’s integrated Library System (ILS) catalogs
- the library’s local area network, computers, servers and related peripherals within the library
- the security and integrity of all library computers and network infrastructure
- Leads the Library Technology team supervising a staff of 4 FTE
- Supervises and oversees the deployment of upgrades and new features to library systems and technologies and responds to issues pertaining to library technologies.
- Supports library staff and faculty with the use of technologies and coordinates the necessary training procedures.
- Provides leadership for the support of library equipment and answers questions from staff and patrons.
- Evaluates library systems and technologies and provides recommendations.
- Coordinates training associated with the introduction of new technologies.
- Consults with library staff and faculty regarding projects that involve existing technology or planned implementation of new technology and library systems.
- Performs periodic maintenance of library systems to include updates and enhancements
- Tests and evaluates new electronic products.
- Develops partnerships and collaborations to facilitate the success of digital projects in the libraries and on campus.
- Serves on committees as needed.
- Master’s degree in Computer Science, Library Science, or Management Information Systems.
- Three to five years of experience managing and supervising library technologies in an academic library.
- The ability to manage and oversee complex projects in a fast-paced team environment.
- Research experience and proficiency with a variety of library integrated systems.
- Documented history of increasing supervisory responsibility for library systems, or a combination of bibliographic database experience and other library integrated systems experience.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, a high degree of detail-orientation, and effective problem solving skills.
- Must be self-directed, flexible, analytical, creative, and results- and customer-service oriented.
- Demonstrated ability to work with faculty and staff in articulating and achieving goals.
- Candidates must communicate effectively and perform well in the interviews.
- Experience as an UNIX administrator.
- Experience with US MARC records
- Experience in PL/SQL programming or Unix Shell programming
- Experience administrating Voyager Integrated Library System
Preference will be given to those with:
- an understanding of academic collection development practices.
- experience providing information literacy instruction.
- Ability to analyze and determine appropriate hardware and software features for implementation.
- Working knowledge of programming techniques and languages, SQL, and managing server systems, particularly in Linux and Unix environments. Previous programming experience preferred.
- Understanding of the MARC record.
Please visit this link to apply.