The Digital Archivist will assume management responsibilities in the area of archival processing of material regardless of format; lead the archives’ digital initiatives; and develop strategies for the management of digital assets/electronic records. These responsibilities involve working closely with the University Archivist and other University departments. This position will also provide some references services.
- Manage the digital assets in University Archives (content received by the Archives and created digital assets), including digitization, creation of metadata, and access. Work with Digital Library Services and Systems Operation and Support on long-term preservation and maintenance of digital materials.
- Oversee and participate in the arrangement, description, and preparation of finding aids for archival collections.
- Assist as needed with reference service to both on-site and remote researchers.
- Participate in tasks that will strengthen the operations of the archive, including assistance in grant writing, participation in archive and library meetings and committees, and assistance with archive outreach activities.
- Participate in developments in archival cataloging, preservation, and access regardless of formats.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree, preferably in history or social sciences, or MLS.
- Previous Archival education/experience.
- Evidence of written and oral communication skills.
- Familiarity with creation and preservation of digital assets.
- Knowledge of archival standards, theory, and practice.
- Experience with archival processing.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- Working knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Demonstrated commitment to providing outstanding customer services.
- Knowledge of creation and preservation of digital assets.
- Familiarity with XML and current and emerging cataloging and metadata standards is (EAD, MODS).
- Academy of Certified Archivist certification.
- Prior experience working in an academic research library, ideally in an academic archives.
View the full job ad here.