The Mission of the New York Public Library is to Inspire LifeLong Learning, Advance Knowledge and Strengthen Communities. An integral part of this mission requires us to go beyond our
historical focus on providing access to the vast resources of the New York Public Library and to deepen and broaden our commitment to enabling reading, learning, and the creation of new
knowledge in a bimodal world (physical and digital). The Director Digital Experience plays a leading role in making this a reality.
Reporting to the Chief Library Officer of The New York Public Library, the Director, Digital Experience leads the experimentation, incubation, implementation and portfolio management of the digital user experience.
The roles purpose is to build and deliver a set of inspiring service offerings to every single user whether they act alone or in collaboration with others.
This role partners with internal and external stakeholders to identify, design, incubate and ensure delivery of an excellent user experience across all our digital properties to foster reading, learning and creativity.
This position is part of a senior management team responsible for NYPL’s program strategy and exceptional standard of service throughout our physical and digital environment.
As part of our service offering, the qualified candidate will have direct oversight of the NYPL innovation program (includes NYPL Labs), the vision and direction of our digital user experience,
new digital product and service incubation and implementation, and digital portfolio management.
- Accountable to the User Experience Leadership team for delivery of the digital strategy that inspires our users to consult and use the resources of the New York Public Library tofulfill their personal goals and aspirations
- Partners with the CLO, the VP of Public Services and the Andrew W. Mellon director in designing inspiring user experiences for today and in anticipation of new needs
- Partners with Strategy in the design and effective use of user analytics and research in decision making,
- Partners with the Chief Technology Officer on technology strategy and product development
- Accountable for ease of use throughout the Library’s digital properties, including building strong digital partner experiences
- Under the direction of the CLO and in partnership with the Andrew W. Mellon director, the VP of Public Services, the VP of Marketing and Communications, and the VP of Finance and Strategic Initiatives, leads the planning and implementation of NYPL’s digital strategy
- In conjunction with other stakeholders, actively looks for and drives changes in the digital portfolio that creates pathways to help our patrons use our collections and expertise to advance knowledge, create and learn
- Involved in hiring, developing and retaining digital expertise
- Accountable for developing and overseeing the Digital Initiatives and Services budget● In collaboration with the CLO represents the digital strategy with internal and external stakeholders
- User experience focus
- Analytical thinking
- Skilled communicator
- A track record of successful collaboration and team building across and within organizations
- Strong ability to manage through change
- A minimum of ten years leading teams in the design, implementation, and oversight of digital user experiences – preferably in education or higher education, publishing, digital humanities or libraries
- Bachelors Degree in information science or other related field required, Masters Degree preferred
- Extensive experience in innovative endeavors as well as stewarding products from incubation to production
- Demonstrated track record of developing and using data and userbased research to deliver exceptional service
- Excellent internal and external communicator
- Excellent understanding of current day and emerging technologies (including but not limited to reading, learning, information discovery, collaboration, and digital asset management)
- Demonstrated history of collaboration across business units to bring about largescale organizational change