Washington and Lee University is seeking an innovative and dynamic Director of Library Technology to engage the library staff and lead their efforts to enhance library information services and to help in the development of applications that serve the university community.
Essential and Related Functions
The Director of Technology is responsible for administering, planning and developing library systems including: the integrated library system (Millennium), the Web server, ILLiad, WordPress, EZProxy and other systems under development. This position provides leadership in developing discovery tools and will guide the Library’s vision of technology’s role in library services. The position works closely with other members of the library staff, the Law Library, and colleagues in Information Technology Services (ITS) to integrate library information systems with existing campus systems. The Director collaborates with library staff and faculty to plan and promote library information services and support the college’s efforts in the digital humanities. The Director will serve on library and university committees and provide professional development and learning opportunities for librarians, faculty, staff, and students regarding library technologies. Participation in reference, instruction, and collection development is possible if desired. Salary is commensurate with credentials and experience.
- Administers, maintains and enhances the integrated library system, library Web server, ILLiad, WordPress, EZProxy and other systems and services
- Oversees the development of the library website
- Adheres to and promotes current Web standards and coordinates usability assessment
- Works closely with the Digital Scholarship Librarian and ITS staff to develop systems in support of the college’s efforts in the digital humanities and digital scholarship across the curriculum
- Works closely with ITS and library staff members to promote the library’s presence in W&L’s Sakai course management system and other campus information systems
- Provides training opportunities for library staff and the campus community regarding library and information technologies
- Stays abreast and ahead of developments in the field through ongoing education, professional development, and/or scholarly activity
- American Library Association accredited master’s degree, or an advanced degree in a related discipline with library experience
- A minimum of 3 years experience working in libraries with responsibility for systems administration
- Experience and knowledge of Windows server administration is required (Linux is also highly desirable)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Web design and standards including HTML, XHTML and CSS is required
- Experience in relational database design is required; MySQL experience is preferred
- Knowledge of operations and technical aspects of the integrated library system in all functional areas (acquisitions, cataloging, serials, electronic resource management, circulation, etc.), preferably with III Millennium
- Systems administration experience with WordPress is highly desirable
- Working knowledge of XML, XSLT, XQuery, and XPath highly desirable
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; a strong public service orientation and interest in participating in a vibrant academic environment with faculty, staff and students
- Team orientation, flexibility, versatility, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a complex and changing environment
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development
- Ability to lead and manage change through education, coordination and persuasion
The University Library has a current budget of $2.45 million, a staff of 9 librarians and 14 administrative/support staff, approximately 726,000 volumes and roughly 12,000 subscriptions. and http://library.wlu.edu/. Founded in 1749, Washington and Lee University is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the Shenandoah Valley of western Virginia.
For more information visit https://jobs.wlu.edu/postings/1395.