Grand Valley State University Libraries, a recipient of the 2012 Association of College and Research Libraries’ Excellence in Academic Libraries Award, seeks an energetic, innovative and self-motivated professional for the User Experience Manager position. Reporting to the Head of Operations and User Services, the User Experience (UX) Manager leads a newly formed User Experience Team that is responsible for the management and day-to-day operation of the single service desk that will provide first tier research assistance, circulation services, resource sharing and document delivery, live chat, and course reserves in the new Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons scheduled to open in June 2013. Working collaboratively with other managers in the Technology and Information Services Division, and across the library, the UX Manager will be an active participant in an agile, forward thinking library environment that promotes and supports innovative, responsive and collaborative user-centered services and spaces.
- Oversees the User Experience Team which includes four staff and seven FTE student employees
- Schedules service desk coverage and extended hours coordination for Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons
- Manages the user experience student assistant budget
- Supports and encourages professional development for the User Experience Team
- Works with the Head of Operations and User Services for the recruitment, hiring, and retention of quality library staff in the User Experience team
- Helps to assure alignment between unit and overall library mission, goals, and values
- Works with Evening Operations and User Services Manager to oversee public spaces, support events, and coordinate event set up and take down for library sponsored programs and events
- Works with the campus IT Helpdesk staff to foster a collaborative and user-centered service environment in the new Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons
- Manages, maintains, and acquires supplies for department, various user experience services, and patron use within the library
- Participates in university-wide initiatives in areas of assigned responsibility
- Works with Evening Operations and User Services Manager to assist in troubleshooting the Automated Storage Retrieval System (ASRS)
- Works with the Operations and User Services management team to develop, recommend and implement policies, procedures, and services
- Advises the Head of Operations and User Services on challenges and opportunities related to the ongoing development, management and promotion of a user-centered library environment.
- Working with the Liaison Librarians, provides on-going training to those working service points to ensure user interaction regarding library services receive the best possible outcomes consistently during all hours of operation
- Assists with the development and implementation of training, scripts, and other materials needed to effectively provide information and orientation about the library environment and variety of specific library services and initiatives
- Participates in a library wide initiative to establish and maintain a proactive and responsive usercentered culture
- Evaluates and assesses services delivered by staff at the service desk. Services include: customer service, first tier research assistance, circulation services, resource sharing and document delivery, live chat, course reserves, and way finding. The focus will be to identify user needs, evaluate how well those needs are being met, and recommend and implement changes to policies, services, and initiatives that respond to user needs
- Apply and implement models and frameworks that enable a deep understanding of user behaviors, needs, and preferences in the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons.
- Stays abreast of innovative customer service practices and principles; design thinking and user experience principles, trends and initiatives; learning space design, and current trends related to academic library access services
- Works closely with Web Services Librarian and the Digital Initiatives Librarian to improve usability and accessibility of technology and online interfaces
Programs and Services
- Provides support for library hosted events and programs in the Mary Idema Pew Library Learning and Information Commons
- Ensures service desk staff are aware of information regarding library events, policies, programs, and services so accurate and consistent information is provided to users
- Works with Head of Operations and User Services to develop, communicate, and enforce building and collection use policies and procedures
- Participates in library wide initiatives to promote and increase awareness of library services and programs
- In conjunction with the Library Program Manager and the First Year Initiatives Coordinator, works with Grand Valley State University non-academic departments and student organizations to promote library services and programs to students
The regular work schedule for this position is: Tuesday through Friday (9:00am – 6:00pm) and Saturday (12pm – 8pm).
Required Qualifications and Education
- Bachelor Degree
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage staff and processes/workflows; and to promote teamwork among colleagues
- Demonstrated commitment and experience providing outstanding and user-centered public service
- The capacity to thrive in an exciting, agile, future-oriented environment and responds effectively to changing needs and priorities
- Public service experience in a library setting and/or experience working in the hospitality and tourism industry
- Working knowledge of innovative customer service best practices and principles
- Experience managing or leading projects that serve a diverse user community
- Demonstrated creative and innovative problem-finding and problem-solving skills
- Interest and experience in assessment of services and spaces
- An understanding of design thinking and user experience principles, trends and initiatives
Salary and Benefits
Salary ranges are commensurate with experience. GVSU employees enjoy a comprehensive benefit package, including support for professional development. The job category for this position is Administrative/Professional.
Please apply online at https://www.gvsujobs.org, (select Administrative/Professional). An application consists of a cover letter, resume/vita, and the names e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references. The cover letter should address the responsibilities, qualifications, and experiences listed for the position. If you need assistance, call Human Resources at 616-331-2215.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, preference will be given to applications received by June 17, 2013.
To view the original job posting, click here.